Bio & CV
Barbara Agreste was born in Pescara, she first approaches art-making in the Art Lyceum of her town, and after completing the course she goes to Milan to attend a Scenography course in the Academy of Arts. At the age of 23 she moves to London where she begins working as a performer for “Rawhead Dance Theatre” Company. In 1996 Barbara enrolls in Kent Institute of Art & Design taking as her subject of study “Film & Video Production”. After graduating in July 2000 she proceeds to the MA course in ‘Fine Art’ at Central St. Martins College of Art & Design in London where she is awarded the ‘Master of Arts’ in September 2004. Since then Barbara has continued producing film, photographs, and paintings, exhibiting and attending film festivals all around the world. Barbara lives and works in London although her visits to Italy are very frequent.
Personal home page: www.bambee.org
- • LIQUID IMAGE, VideoArt Event, Tarii Crisurilor Museum, Oradea, Romania.
Curated by Gabriela Diana Gavrilas.
- • 100×100=900 (100 Videoartists to tell a Century) international videoart project, http://www.9hundred.org/century.php
- • VOTE ART, Cultural Art Movement, CAM Casoria Contemporary Art Museum, Naples/Strasbourg.
- • La Video Arte nel Mondo del Software, curated by Giovanni Viceconte, Lino Strangis & Veronica D’Auria, MACRO Contemporary Art Museum of the City of Rome, Italy.
- • On Videos for hours and hours, curated by Visual Container, Boccanera Art Gallery, Trento, Italy.
- • Vagiti Ultimi, curated by Daniela Martella, cisterne romane del Palazzo Ducale, Atri, Italy.
- • Women’s Glance, screening of videoart by women, curated by Enrico Tomaselli, Palazzo delle Arti, Naples.
- • Metamorphose, South Haven Centre for the Arts, South Haven, curated by Melissa Warner-Talcott, Mitchigan, USA.
- • A(r)T:Trazione, Poetry and VideoArt Festival, Chiostro Palazzo di Citta’, S. Severo, FG, Italy.
- • La Condivisione della Differenza, curated by Silvia Cicoria, Palazzo Lannutti, Montesilvano Colle, Pescara.
- • ALFABETOMORSO, Maionese Project, Virtual Exhibition, EnPleinAir Art-Gallery, Pinerolo, Turin.
- • VIDEO IN FRAC – ViDea3 Rassegna di video art al femminile VideoCocktail II edizione, Frac, Sala delle Conferenze e Galleria dei Frati, Baronissi (Naples).
- • CAMMovie Videoart Platform, CAM Casoria Contemporary Art Museum, curated by Antonio Manfredi, Naples.
- • Arakne, Primo Piano Living Gallery, curated by Dores Sacquegna, Lecce, Italy.
- • Magmart Video Under Volcano VI edition, in partnership with CAM – Casoria Contemporary Art Museum, and the Foundation Universal Forum of Cultures, Naples.
- • Language is a Virus, Primo Piano Living Gallery, curated by Dores Sacquegna, Lecce, Italy.
- • ITALIAN CONTAINER The emerging Italian video art comes to Yerevan, curated by Carolina Lio.
ACCEA | Armenian Center for Contemporary Experimental Art, Yerevan, Armenia.
- • “Art Shake Festival Berlin”, 91mQ Art Project Space, Berlin, curated by Emanuela De Notariis.
- • “Pixelation V.7″, a showcase of digital media and interactive performance part of the FirstWorks Festival. Providence, Rodhe Island, USA.
- • “Unbroken beat of soul”, International Video Art at Laity Festival, Ex Aurum, Pescara, Italy, curated by Antonio Zimarino.
- • “Videococktails”, video art exhibition, fës showroom – Minori – Costa d’Amalfi, curated by Pasquale Ruocco and Marcella Ferro.
- • “Jamis vu” (solo show), Rose es la Vie, Roseto degli Abruzzi, curated by Agnese Casolani.
- • “Tracce 2010″, 7^ Young Artists’ Biennale, Castello Di Sarzano, Casina – ReggioEmilia.
- • “Art Shake Festival”, Mondo Bizarro Gallery, Rome, curated by Emanuela De Notariis.
- • “Contact-s, Luoghi dell’Arte Contemporanea”, Liceo Artistico Giorgio de Chirico, Torre Annunziata, NAPLES. Curated by: Raffaella Barbato.
- • “31 Artisti Vs 20Mq“, Visualcontainer.box ProjectSpace, Via Federico Confalonieri 11, Milan. Curared by: Alessandra Arnò, Giorgio Fedeli.
- • “RED: The Gendered Color in Frames”, International Videoart Exhibition, curated by Evelin Stermitz, Photon Gallery, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- • Nigredo, Ex Lavanderia, Rome. Curated by Lori Adragna, Barbara Collevecchio, Micol di Veroli.
- • Toys… What a pleasure. Atelier 777 Gallery, Pescara, Italy.
- • Videholica 2009, International Biennial of Visual Arts, August in Art, Archeology Museum, Varna, Bulgaria.
- • Crisis, creativity as a resort and crisis as a time of passage and change. Villa Comunale Roseto degli Abruzzi, Italy, curated by Barbara Collevecchio.
- • International Video Programme, Cepa Gallery, The Art of Photography, curated by Adriane Little – Buffalo, NY, USA.
- • La Spina del Grano, Omaggio alla figura di Vincent Van Gogh, Castello S. Michele, Cagliari, Italy. Curated by Sara Costa.
- • MetaFest 2008, Video Art Festival, Roxie Theatre, San Francisco, USA.
- • Sulmona Art e Cinema, Avatars Gallery, curated by Marco Maiorano, Sulmona, Italy.
- • 17Days Video Series, Richmond Center Art Galleries, Western Michigan University, curated by Adriane Little, USA
- • Sardinia Art Fair, III Edition, “Condamned to creation”, www.sardegnaartefiera.it, Castidas, (Ca) Italy.
- • Videholica 08, International Biennial of Visual Arts, August in Art, Varna City Art Gallery, Varna, Bulgaria.
- • XX Edition Euromediterranean Festival, 2Video in Altomonte, Video Art exhibition,
curated by Francesca di Nardo & Giovanni Viceconte, Altomonte (CS), Italy.
- • La Chiesa di S. Giovanni Battista di Penne nel Solstizio d’Estate, organized by the association Italia Nostra, curated by Luigi Mincione, Penne, Italy.
- • GAP, group exhibition, Vittoria Colonna Museum of Modern Art, Pescara, Italy, curated by Claudia Civitarese in collaboration
with the GAI (Circuito Giovani Artisti Italiani).
- • Projecto VideoLab at the Electrochoc Video Festival, curated by LeMatrice collective, France.
- • Animation: Digital Antidotes, Looptopia: Around the Coyote Video Lounge, curated by LiveBox, www.liveboxgallery.com, Chicago, USA.
- • Projecto VideoLab, www.projectovideolab.com, Semide, Portugal.
- • Video, Donna e Superstizione, video-art exhibition, Spazio Wunderkammer, Cremona, Italy.
- • Imago Imaginis, group exhibition, Ortona Civic Museum, Italy, curated by Antonio Zimarino.
- • Trampoline Platform Event: “The surveillance City”, Broadway Media Centre, Nottingham, UK. Founded by the Arts Council England, www.trampoline.org.uk
- • “Caduta”, 2Video, undo.net, Milan, Italy. Curated by Francesca di Nardo.
- • Closer, VideoArt exhibition at MID_E Festival, Arteleku Arts Centre, www.arteleku.net, San Sebastian, Spain. Curated by the Yox Collective.
- • Arte e Nonviolenza, group exhibition, curated by ANTS – Artists for non violence & social transformation, www.antsonweb.com. Florence, Italy.
- • Exposed, Video Art from Voyeur International Video Collective, Basement Ari, Fiskars, Finland.
- • Videa, Women and VideoArt, FRAC Fondo Regionale d’Arte Contemporanea, Baronissi (Salerno), Italy, curated by Claudia Gennari.
- • II Young Artists’ Biennale: “Along The Adriatic Line”, Casa D’attanasio, Spoltore (PE), Italy Curated by Antonio Zimarino.
- • Web Biennial 2007, Pavillion Six, Istanbul Contemporary Art Museum, Istambul, Turkey.
- • Rose’s Choice 2007: VI Edition, M.I.D.A. International Museum of Women in Art, Scontrone (AQ), Italy Curated by Lino Alviani.
- • Art Melbourne 07, Art Fair, Royal Exhibition Building, Carlton, Australia.
- • Voyeur International Video Collective, 69 Smith Street Gallery, Fitztroy, Australia.
- • Visuale 1.0, MUV Music & Digital Art Festival, Florence, Italy. Curated by Matteo Chini.
- • Her Shorts, Women’s International Video Festival, The Hitoric Y, Tucson, Arizona, USA.
- • A Corto di Donne, Women’s Film & Video Festival, III Edition, Pozzuoli, Naples, Italy.
- • Cyber Feminism Past Forward, Austrian Association of Women Artists, Vienna, Austria.
- • Detroit’s 10th International Film & Video Festival, Museum of New Art (MONA), USA.
- • bbcc Expo, X Salon of cultural heritage and activities, Terminal Passeggeri S.p.A., Venice, Italy
- • Immersione nel ROSSO, Circolo E. Berlinguer Caffè Culturale “Arte e Incontri”, Albano L. (RM), Italy. Curated by Serena Bianchini.
- • Slippage: fragilities and instabilities in the phenomena of meaning, Net Art exhibition, UK. Curated by Nanette Wylde.
- • Spazi Evasi ’06, six site specific installations, Francavilla al Mare, CH, Italy.
- • Utopia, Pescara prize for young artists, Vittoria Colonna Museum of Modern Art, Pescara, Italy.
- • Streaming Festival, International Film Festival, www.streamingfestival.com, The Hague, Netherlands.
- • Magmart, Video Under Volcano, International Festival of Video Art, Casoria Contemporary Art Museum, Naples, Italy.
- • “Disturb.the.Peace”, Net Art exhibition, UK. Curated by: Jess Loseby. www.d-t-p.tv
- • Peam: “The 2nd One Second Video Festival”, Spain. Curated by Respeto Total, www.respeto-total.com
- • Ideeeazioni, Ecoteca, (personal show) Pescara, Italy. Curated by Luigi Pagliarini & Valentina Bernabei.
- • The Inscriptive Ferret, Gallery 44, Fish Island, London. Curated by Craig Martin.
- • M.A. Fine Art Degree Show, Central St. Martins College of Art & Design, London, Curated by J.Greenhill.
- • Shundahai, Area 10, London. Curated by Carmen Roman.
- • T.B.M. Show, Lux Cinema, London. Curated by Sophia Phoca.
Film and video work:
- • 2013: “Ropes”, 4K Film, 10 mins.
- • 2013: “Pictures Book”, 2K Film Animation, 5 mins.
- • 2012: “Cyanide”, 4K Film, 9 mins.
- • 2008: “Reptilica”, 2K Film, 6 mins.
- • 2006: “Rain”, DV Video, 5.4 mins.
- • 2006: “The Chequered Tunnel”, 3D Animation 4K Film, 5.5 mins.
- • 2005: “The Tower Trilogy”, HD Video and 16 mm film, 9.1 mins.
- • 2004: “35 mm Animation”, 35 mm film animation, 10.4 mins.
- • 2001: “16 mm Animation”, 16 mm film, 16 mins.
- • 1999: “Viola”, DV Video, 30 mins.
- • 1998: “Look at You”, DV Video, 10 mins.
- • New Museum of Contemporary Art, Rhizome New Media Artbase, rhizome.org/art, New York, USA
- • Museum of New Art (MONA) www.detroitmona.com, 27 West 2nd St., Rochester, MI 48307 – USA
- • Casoria International Contemporary Art Museum, Via Duca D’Aosta, Casoria, Naples, Italy
- • MOCA, Museum of Computer Art, www.museumofcomputerart.com, Virtual Museum, Brooklyn and Prattsville, New York, USA
- • M.I.D.A. International Museum of Women in Art, www.museoartedonna.org, Scontrone (AQ), Italy
- • 2009: Artfem.tv, The Feminist art project: Recognising the aesthetic and intellectual impact of women in the visual arts and culture. Vienna, Austria.
- • 2009: Souvenirs from the earth, Art TV channel, Cologne, Germany, www.souvenirsfromearth.tv
- • 2008: Collaboration with MTV, “The Chequered Tunnel” licensed and screened on QOOB TV, Feb 2008.
- • 2005: “Atlantropa”, A film by Michel Morales and Harald Rauser, Miromar Entertainment AG, Ludwigsburg, Germany. Role: Italian newsreel voice.
- • 2002: “Viaggio nei centri storici” a film by Luca Krstic, Produced by Ionia film Krstic. Role: shots of paintings under water.
- • 100×100=900, 1oo Videoartists to tell a Century, curated by Enrico Tomaselli.
- • Arakne, Primo Piano Living Gallery, Lecce, curated by Dores Sacquegna.
- • Language is a Virus, Primo Piano Living Gallery, Lecce, curated by Dores Sacquegna.
- • Tracce 2010, 7^ Joung Artists Biennale, curated by Effetto Notte cultural association, 2010.
- • Contact-S, Luoghi dell’Arte Contemporanea, curated by Raffaella Barbato. 2010.
- • Nigredo, Curated by Lori Adragna, Barbara Collevecchio, Micol di Veroli. 2009, Pietro Negri Publisher.
- • 2Video ad Altomonte, curated by Francesca Di Nardo & Giovanni Viceconte, August 2008.
- • GAP, group exhibition, curated by Claudia Civitarese, June 2008.
- • Imago Imaginis (L’Immagine dell’Immagine), curated by Antonio Zimarino, April 2008, Ianieri Publisher.
- • New Media Design Book, curated by Alberto Cecchi, April 2008, Sometti Publisher.
- • Videa, Womens VideoArt, curated by Claudia Gennari, Frac Baronissi, Sa, 2007.
- • Spoltorensamble: Along the adriatic Line, nine points on an infinite line, curated by Antonio Zimarino Spoltore (PE) 11 – 21 August 2007. Page 4.
- • Spazi Evasi 07: Re-Use, Francavilla al Mare (CH) 21 July 4 August 2007, page 7.
- • Rose’s Choice, VI Edizione: Streghe e altre donne, Scontrone (AQ), July 2007, page 10
- • A Corto di Donne, Women’s Flim & Video Festival catalogue, June 2007 Pozzuoli (NA)
- • Utopia” catalogue, “Pescara Prize for young artists, May 2006, pages: 11, 12, 13.
- • Spazi Evasi ’06 competition, site specific installations catalogue, Francavilla al Mare, 14/29 July 2006, page 8.
- • MA Fine Art Degree Show 2004 Catalogue, Central St. Martins College of Art & Design, September 2004, page 61.
- • Claudia Quintieri, Il video della settimana: In Reptilica i simboli di Barbara Agreste, INSIDE ART MAGAZINE, April 2012.
- • Barbara Agreste. Sphera Medical Journal, curated by Lucy Curro’, www.spheramedicaljournal.it, January 2012.
- • Ilaria Paluzzi, Da Londra a Roseto portando un mazzo di “Spine Flowers”, www.lacittaquotidiano.it, 2010, page 13.
- • Barbara Collevecchio, Nigredo: La piccola morte eroica. Art a part of culture magazine, 2009.
- • Nadia Lazzarini, InCamera – Un confronto necessario, Con-fine magazine, n. 13 march 2009, page 30.
- • Nadia Lazzarini, InCamera – Un vestito di fiori, Niente da mettermi oggi, Con-fine magazine, n. 12 December 2008, page 27.
- • Fabio Villas, interview to Barbara Agreste, Artist ShowDown – Contemporary Artist Database, 2008.
- • Claudia Quintieri, interview to Barbara Agreste, Sofà Magazine, trimestrale dei sensi nell’Arte, 2008.
- • Valeria Silvestri, interview to Barbara Agreste, Donne Arte e Scienza Blog, 2007.
- • Onintza Enbeita, interview to Barbara Agreste, Matraka newspaper, Basque country, november 2007.
- • Serena Bianchini “Immersione nel ROSSO“, text published online at the URL: serenart.ilcannocchiale.it
- • Eliza Fernbach “Disturb The Peace (Angry Women)” Furtherfield review, furtherfield.org – section: Projects.
- • “Spazi Evasi 2006“, Segno Magazine, issue 209, July/October 2006, page 90.
- • Yasser Rashid “Slippage“, Furtherfield review, furtherfield.org – page: Projects.
- • “Il Premio Michetti slitta al 29 luglio, selezionate le opere vincitrici del concorso artistico organizzato dall’associazione La.Li.Pè“,
newspaper Il Centro, 5 July 2006, page: VIII.
- • “Formiche“, critical text by Giacomo Sabatini, pubblished online at the URL: www.repticula.net/docs/formiche.pdf
- • Rai International, Italica I-Web Magazine, review and interview, March 2006.
- • Giulia Ribes, Peam: L’uomo, la macchina e l’arte, Zac magazine, December 2005, page 59.
- • Barbara Agreste’s Diaries, published online at the URL: http://www.repticula.net/BarbaraAgreste
- • Barbara Agreste, “The 15th of January concluded the XVI edition of the art exhibition curated by Agnes Kohlmeyer”, Zac magazine, January 2006, page 52.
- • Barbara Agreste, “The spectacle of Hysteria”, text published online at the URL: www.repticula.net/myphotos/Hysteria.pdf
- • Barbara Agreste, “Il rosso e il Ghiaccio”, Zac magazine, Sept. 2005, page 46.
- • Barbara Agreste, “Il vuoto al centro di Montesilvano”, Zac magazine, Oct. 2006, pp.: 50-51.
- • Barbara Agreste, “L’aurea di Stella a Pescara”, Zac magazine, Nov/Dec 2006, pp.: 60-61.
- • Barbara Agreste, “Claudio di Carlo: oltre il fetish”, Zac magazine, February 2007.
- • Barbara Agreste, “Annunciaz. in metropolitana, tra aktionismo e body-art, l’ultimo libro di Chiara Cretella”, Zac n. 4, May 2007.
- • 2004: Master of Arts, Fine Art, Central Saint Martins College of Art & Design, London, UK.
- • 2000: Bachelor of Arts (with First Class Honours), Visual Communication, Kent Institute of Art & Design, University of Kent at Canterbury, Maidstone, UK.
- • 1997: BTEC Diploma, Foundation Studies in Art & Design, Kensington & Chelsea College, London, UK.
- • 1989: Diploma, Liceo Artistico “G. Misticoni” – Pescara, Italy.